A wet basement is more than a nuisance.
If your basement includes finished living space, any kind of moisture can ruin carpeting, drywall, and framing not to mention damaging your belongings. Even if you have a crawl space or just use your basement for storage, a simple case of condensation can buckle hardwood flooring on the level above and spawn harmful mold. Of course this is even more serious when it happens in the middle of trying to market your home in the process, as has happened to many of our clients of late.
Depending on how much water invades the space, it could signal serious damage to the structure of your home. In fact, just an inch of water creeping across the floor can cost you from several hundred dollars and exceed more than $10,000, see www.floodsmart.gov. Wetness in the basement or crawlspace is caused by excess water pressure (usually from heavy rain or melting snow) that is pushed though existing cracks in your home’s foundation. As you can imagine, this can cause major structural damage to the foundation of your home and also contribute to moisture related problems, like mold, rot, and decay.
If you have a soggy basement, you’re not alone. The American Society of Home Inspectors, based in Des Plaines, IL, estimates 60 percent of U.S. homes have basements that get water at one point or another.
There are a variety of ways that moisture can penetrate through basement walls and floors.
Some examples are:
- Inadequate waterproofing of exterior walls during construction
- Cracks caused by expansion and contraction due to outside temperature changes
- Openings created to allow access for water pipes and cable
- A general rule to keep in mind is that water penetration can be managed from the inside of the basement when the leak is minor or there is no access to the foundation from the outside. If the water penetration is extensive, an exterior method is usually more appropriate.
What to Do About It
When determining the correct waterproofing solution, you need to consider the extent of the water penetration and what you plan to use your basement for. Wet basements or crawlspaces rarely fix themselves, and can lead to expensive foundation repairs if left untreated.
Call us today at 732.383.7871 for a free, comprehensive inspection and estimate.
We offer a variety of different basement waterproofing and wet basement/crawlspace solutions depending on your specific issue. The Two River team is trained in using a multitude of moisture and water detection tools to determine the source of your issue. In other words, we don’t just tell you that you have a water problem – our proven inspection methods provide an accurate assessment, which ensures that you are not overlooking any problems in your home.
We also offer 24 hour emergency service in both Monmouth & Ocean Counties for flooded basement/crawlspace and foundation problems, as well as burst pipes!
Steps to Take After Immediate Water Damage or Basement FloodingAny time your home has experienced recent water damage, it’s best to quickly assess the environment and contact a professional to inspect the situation and begin performing repairs. While waiting for a water damage restoration professional, you can reduce structural and property damage by performing several safety and cleaning tasks:
- Shut off power to the flooded or damp area. Avoid turning off the power if you have to stand in pools of water to do so, and wait for a professional before taking any next steps.
- Enter the flooded area wearing proper protective clothing and remove any waterlogged furniture, decor or valuable property, placing them in a safe and elevated area to dry completely.
- Begin drying out the space and removing any standing water by using a shop vacuum and dehumidifiers. Open windows and doors to improve ventilation.
Experience the 2 River Group Difference — Monmouth and Ocean County’s Premier Home Water Restoration ProfessionalsWhen you hire 2 River Group as your trusted water damage restoration and mitigation company, you can benefit from superior quality, attention to detail and quality control. Our team works closely with you to find personalized restoration solutions to fit your needs and budget, and we’re dedicated to efficiently performing all of our mitigation services to minimize further damages, reduce any discomfort, and help restore your peace of mind. The benefits of trusting our experienced, highly trained team with your water remediation project also include:
- Emergency response and proactive remediation solutions.
- Better protection of your personal belongings.
- Effective restoration services using industrial-grade tools to reduce structural damage.
- Comprehensive mold inspection and remediation services to prevent mold growth and limit spread.
- Quality, proud workmanship backed by a two-year transferable warranty.
Request a Free Water Restoration Estimate TodayAt 2 River Group Mold Remediation and Restoration, we offer the best water damage restoration solutions for homeowners throughout Monmouth and Ocean County, NJ. We’re a proud locally owned and operated company specializing in a wide range of water damage restoration, remediation and rebuilding services.
“After the hurricane, TRR stepped in and evaluated the mold damage and prevented further damage, then formulated a plan to remedy the problem. I received an excellent quality of work at a fair price. They also helped several of my neighbors, who were also very happy with their service.”
~ Chris, Oceanport
“The keywords are: Reliable, honest and competitive pricing. We’re still friends even after the project was completed.”